Wildlife Export Regulations

It is an offence to remove wildlife or wildlife parts, other than a manufactured product, to a place outside Nunavut unless you obtain a Wildlife Export Permit. To export parts of marine mammals, you will need a Marine Mammal Transportation License. These permits must be obtained prior to the items leaving Nunavut and will not be issued after the items have been exported.

For certain species of wildlife or marine mammals, you may also require a C.I.T.E.S. Export Permit if your destination is outside Canada. This permit must be obtained prior to the item leaving the country.

A permit is not required to export Fish, or any meat under 20kg for the purpose of consumption, from Nunavut.

For more information, please contact the Cambridge Bay office of the Department of the Environment (Government of Nunavut):